Monday, July 5, 2010

Book of Nehemiah: Post 4: I hate you.

Wow...did I just title this blog post "I hate you??" I think I did...or as Ricky Bobby would say "That just happened." haha.

Anyway, I am continuing a biblical journey through the Book of Nehemiah and it is continuing to shape and change the way I view my Christian Walk. Today, I have been reading in Nehemiah 6-7, which has been awesome. There are five points I want to draw out of these two chapters that will help me and maybe help someone that is reading this blog. When we are following God, several things will happen...

1) People will try to intimidate us.

Nehemiah is being threatened for finishing the wall. He was threatened before the wall was completed, which makes perfect sense because the work was not done! But, why would he be intimidated by people when the work is complete?? Simply put, just because the wall was built did not mean he was finished! That was just a step in Nehemiah's life...just a stepping stone. God has TONS more he wanted to do through Nehemiah! I must understand that no matter how the "now" may be that God has more in store...finish the "Wall" and move on! I know right now I need to help "rebuild the walls" at TLH, but who knows what the future brings. Maybe God will call me to another country one day, I have no idea...but, I do know that this is just a step in my race of faith. So, people will intimidate you...if you let them. There are people that HATE what you do, when you do it for God...and if they don't hate you, Satan does...intimidation attempts are coming, react the way Nehemiah did in 6:9 "So I continued the work with even greater determination."

2) People will try to discourage you.

The attempt to intimidate Nehemiah in Chapter 6 is to discourage Nehemiah from doing God's plans. It is simple really, if those opposed to God and His ways can discourage us by intimidation, then they will do it. Think about it, how many times have we been discouraged by our circumstances? We think to ourselves that the risks are too great, that the odds are stacked against us...but we must understand that discouragement is evidence of a lack of faith, when what we are discouraged from doing is something we know God is calling us to! Be bold...be courageous...at home, school, wherever...thats my prayer for all of us. Discouragement and intimidation come in many forms...and in all cases, the plan is to stop you from doing God's work.

3) People will try to make you sin.

"They were hoping to intimidate me and make me sin." Then they would be able to accuse and discredit me." -Nehemiah 6:13

Either a person is for God, or against Him...there is no in between, no 'gray area' in this. Life apart from Christ is sin...its prideful, lustful, greedy, sin. We have nothing good in ourselves apart from God, who is the essence of Good. So, when we are around those who hate God's work...we will be more likely to sin. In verse 13, Nehemiah says that they were using intimidation to try to make him sin, but this mentality can come in many forms and shapes. We have all been around people that make it easier for us to sin, they may not literally push you to sin, but they are happy when you decide to do what they are doing...which is basically the same thing, really. I have heard people say that they can hang out with whoever they want and not sin...for a while, maybe...but it will catch up to you, no matter what your intentions are...I have lived it, trust me on this one. Remember that the whole reason that people try to talk us into sin is because then they can discredit us...sinners are running from God, they want a reason to discredit Christianity and Christians in general...therefore, you sinning makes them think what you do is pointless. With that said, we all sin...and God is just as real, no matter how we as believers may act...but we have to stop giving people reasons to discredit God's work...I am chief sinner in this aspect.

4) Deceiving others is easy.

Look at verses 18-19 of Chapter 6...People can easily be deceived, Tobiah made everyone think he was an honest man, however, he was sending threatening letters to Nehemiah! Lord, give me a discernment and intuition to know when someone is a "wolf or a sheep" (Mark Driscoll, Spiritual Warfare Lecture). Tobiah seemed good...to everyone BUT Nehemiah...because Nehemiah knew the other side to Tobiah, the side that wanted to KILL Nehemiah and stop God's plans. Be careful who you follow, high schooler...college kid, adult (I am preaching to myself here as well). I have deceived people myself...I have been involved in things I shouldn't and still pretended everything was fine, when really I was so convicted of sin that I couldn't sleep at night...but, Tobiah was not a believer...he was just a bad guy pretending to be good, so that he could destroy the work of God...let's be careful!

5) Nehemiah's next step.

In chapter 7, verse 5, God tells Nehemiah to call all Jews back to the homeland because there is so much extra room in Jerusalem. Once the wall was built...God commanded Nehemiah to move on. What Nehemiah moved to was something huge, the return of God's people! There were 42,360 people that moved back (verse 66) and the city of Jerusalem was populated by God's children once again! In my life, I can't help but think about my next step...what is it?? Is it soon? Will ANY step ever involve a wife? Family? Is God preparing me for something that I could never do if married?? I have soooooo many questions about what God is calling me to...but all I have to do is look back at the steps I've made to know that God will be faithful in future steps...I have now been to Peru three times...that was a step. I sponsor a Christian group...that was a step. Before that, I joined NewSpring and started helping with FUSE...that was a step. One thing I KNOW is that each step has been more exciting than the one before and WHATEVER that involves, with whoever that is involved with, makes me joyful and content, no matter what.

What is God calling you to do next?? Do you know? Do you even ask Him? What I know is that it will be exciting and challenging...and in the end bring contentment that can't be explained. God is calling us to some amazing stuff...maybe the reason he hasn't told you is because you aren't ready? Me too...let's get ready!

After I rebuild the walls of TLH, I have no idea what is next...but I know who is directing my steps...and I got a lot of confidence in that guy...(its Jesus, btw).

If you are reading this and you have no idea about God or you have questions...shoot me an email at faithalone3@hotmail.com.

I WILL GO
Chase Culbertson

No comments:

Post a Comment