Thursday, January 22, 2015

The CHILL 2015

Hello All!

It has been a while since I blogged, but I think it is time for me to at least write a little something!

In 2007, I became the sponsor of a Christian group called the CHILL at T.L. Hanna High School, where I teach. I had no idea what I was doing or exactly how to get where I felt we needed to be but I had a vision.

The Vision was simple: To equip and motivate Christian students to take the GOSPEL to their schools.

I knew of Christian organizations, but none of them did what I felt God laying on my heart.

FCA is great and I encourage my students to attend, but The CHILL is completely different than FCA in mission, vision and purpose.

YoungLife is very popular at TLH and does great things as well, but it is still not the vision God has laid on my heart.

So...I was left with this thought, how do I do this?

You see the CHILL is an insane idea. It is completely STUDENT led, STUDENT leadership, STUDENT EVERYTHING! In case you are unaware, students aren't always the most reliable! haha.

So, I have floundered around for years tweaking structure and trying to find the best way to get students to understand that this CHILL thing is all about their obedience and willingness to change their schools. Finally, it hit me...I have to plug students in to their passions! So, in 2013 we started changing our leadership from people filling roles that we deemed important to plugging people in to their passions and watching God use their passion for HIS glory! It is a leap of faith, without a doubt. I have mentioned to the leadership team, that if no one is passionate about The CHILL and playing guitar, then your CHILL will have to find a way to survive without it! I am crazy enough to believe that Jesus can and will provide what we need to be successful where he has called us!

So what is the CHILL?

It is an evangelical, non-denominational group of students from youth groups throughout our community saying that they are putting their differences aside for the sake of the lost. I am so thankful for students that understand that a person that has hope, must GIVE hope.

So, every service in 2015 will have the following things:

1) Equip and Motivate Christian Students
2) Encourage EVERYONE
3) Preach the GOSPEL

We are going to give students the opportunity to accept Christ every week!

Now...as a public school teacher, I am not allowed to speak or do anything at school in regards to the CHILL other than observe, but the vision, mission and purpose of the CHILL is a passion of mine that I convey to the leadership teams outside of school.

This school year we have had 118 salvations so far. 118! In public schools!

On a side note, if your first reaction to that is anything other than PRAISE THE LORD than we just don't have the same view of Christianity, which is possible.

To quell any concerns, we do assign each convert a student mentor that checks up on them and disciples them. The last thing I want to do is leave a 'baby Christian' to die!

So...pray for the CHILL! Pray for our campuses at TL Hanna, Greenwood, Wren, Easley, Dixie, Powdersville, Palmetto, Westside, Glenview and Robert Anderson...10 campuses

To what God calls us to, he will lead us through...so let's just listen to God and do what he says!

I WILL GO
Chase Culbertson

No comments:

Post a Comment