Tuesday, July 7, 2009

11 Years Ago...

So I became a Christian on July 7th 1998. I'm not sure if I have shared this story with many of you, so here it goes.

I grew up in church and always considered myself a good person. I thought I was saved at the age of 10, but it became clear as I entered middle school that I had no relationship with God and really didn't understand anything about Him. So I went on living my life and then in the Spring of 1998, after years of goofing off in church with the youth group at another church, my family decided to change churches. The youth pastor, Tim Ballard, continually asked me and my best friend Blake to go to the Go Tell Camp at Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA. However, neither one of us wanted to go. After a couple of weeks, we agreed to go and this camp changed my life forever. Several nights went by at the camp and I fought with God. But, on the night of July 6th, 1998 the preacher that night prayed that anyone whovdid not know Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior would be restless that night. We went back to our dorm and I went straight to sleep, although I knew that God was calling me. I woke up the next morning and my eyes were burning like I hadn't slept in days, I was totally restless. I continued to deny it through the morning service and afternoon activities, but that night I could not run any longer. I remember standing up to go down front, but I also felt weightless, like God himself was carrying me, I will never forget that feeling as long as I live. Then, we went backstage and a college kid led us through the sinners prayer and I felt the weight of sin lifted off of my shoulders. I didn't understand everything, but I did understand the Jesus lived, died, and three days later rose again defeating death, sin, and hell on my behalf! I am so thankful for my story and amazed by how much I have grown in the past 11 years. It hasn't been all smooth sailing, but through the storms, God is still there and he is faithful to be there in the future.

What is your story?
Do you know that you know?
Can you remember a time that defines you and changes the course of your life?

All I know is I was lost and now I am found...the great Shepherd rescued me...has he rescued you?

Today...we are hanging out because of the Strike, everything is uncertain right now, but one thing is for sure, God is not.

I WILL GO
Chase Culbertson

No comments:

Post a Comment